ISCHE 39 in Buenos Aires will take place in the middle of the bicentennial of Latin American emancipatory processes. Nevertheless, the struggles toward emancipation is a worldwide topic. From Ancient history to nowadays, movements throughout the globe, of individuals, groups or societies have fought against domination. In the context of these struggles, there were important debates about how to modernize society to form part of the “civilised world”; thus, different ways of building modern nations as well as different ways of relating to the colonial past emerged around the world.
Education has played a major role within these processes: through instruction in the arts of war, through mass schooling or through the social transmission of values and behaviours. It often was perceived as a key instrument in the formation of new and emancipated citizens. Educational processes changed the relationship between centre and periphery and produced a vivid flow of social, political and pedagogical ideas that were inspired by universal trends and values as well international reform movements, while often adopting local perspectives.
This interplay of circulating ideas characterizes post-colonial pasts and their different histories of education. Dynamic developments of transculturation, hybridization and acculturation meanwhile have resulted in global and multifaceted debates. ISCHE 39 will be a powerful platform for historicizing the present and for exploring the theoretical and empirical richness of history of education as a field.
Sessions will be organized around the following eight themes:
- Emancipation and colonization: educational ideas, concepts and practices.
- Approaches to processes of emancipation and/or colonization through school cultures and curriculum.
- Displaced identities, migrations and exiles in the history of education.
- Gender, sex and bodies in the processes of emancipation and/or colonization.
- Subjectivities, emotions and sensibilities in the processes of emancipation and/or colonization.
- Educational policies and actors in processes of emancipation and/or colonization.
- Teachers, scholars, and knowledge institutions in processes of emancipation and/or colonization.
- Images, gestures and sounds of emancipation and/or colonization: towards a multisensorial history of education
January 31, 2017: Proposals Submission Deadline
March 15, 2017: Authors Notified of Acceptance
May 10, 2017: Early Registration ends
April 15, 2017 Conference Program Finalized
May 10, 2017 Last Day to Register at Early Registration Rates
July 17, 2017 ISCHE Pre-Conference Workshop
July 18 at 21, 2017 ISCHE Conference